Friday, September 14, 2012

Review: Framingham 2009 Pinot Noir

As I said when I first started blogging, I am a bit biased with Sauvignon Blancs. I have been trying hard to review some other varietals, but have been fairly unsuccessful. Luckily William does that! In honor or New Zealand winning #PinotSmackdown last week...I had to review a Pinot Noir!

For my second non-Sauv Blanc review, I picked up Framingham's 2009 Pinot Noir from Marlborough. Framingham is a boutique winery, specializing in hand-crafted wines from some of the oldest vineyards in Marlborough. This wine was a bit higher end, at around $20, so I decided to spoil myself on recommendations from the person at the wine store where I picked this up. I must admit, I was pleasantly happy with my choice!

Don't ask me why, but I noticed on this bottle that you get an extra sip of wine with the screw cap. Normally a bottle has to leave room for a cork, but this bottle was filled almost to the top! Impressive!!

Upon first pour, the color of this wine was very pale, a beautiful ruby, burnt orange, light cranberry color. Once in the glass, it appeared almost like liquid red jello; smooth and absolutely delightful. (See the small photo below.)

The initial nose was very earthy, with notes of toast and wood. My first impression was almost that it had similar qualities to a merlot or cabernet; it smelled a lot bigger than a typical pinot noir in my opinion. I was very excited to take my first sip of this wine after observing the color & smell.

On the first sip, it was much sweeter than I was expecting, but a very calm middle flavor and a spicy end. It had a very quick finish but it was incredibly smooth. After sipping this wine for a while, it had moments of being bitter, but great flavor. It had a smooth yet sour finish (if that makes sense!) with a bold yet subtle flavor (again, I know I sound crazy...). I must admit, this was my favorite pinot noir I've had to date and definitely would recommend it! Go out and try it for yourself, and you'll know what I mean!

Notes:
ABV: 14.0%
Winemaker: Andrew Hedley (read more about him, their Assistant Winemaker & Viticulturalist here)
Region: Marlborough
Cost: Roughly $20
Vintage: 2009
Bottle Notes: "aromas and flavors of spicy cherries and fruit cake along with some savory game, mushroom & toasty oak complexity"
Ratings: Robert Parker - 87 points, Wine Spectator - 90 points
Importer: Evaton, Inc., Stamford, CT


You can see the color well in this photo...in the glass it shows the burnt orange color, and the reflection below shows the amazing ruby color!

Purhcase Online: Framingham Online Store (Note that if you are outside New Zealand, you must email them at info@framingham.co.nz for ordering information)

While they don't currently have this vintage available, they have the 2008 & 2010, which I'd be curious to try. They also have a varietal which you don't often find from New Zealand producers, Montepulciano, an absolutely delightful grape, most often from the Tuscany area of Italy.

Visiting Framingham:
They are located minutes from the airport, just off the Wairau River, one of my favorite areas! They are open seven days a week and have an absolutely gorgeous property. (Check out their online Photo Gallery!)

One other note: I also purchased the Framingham 2011 Sauvignon Blanc, which I will be sure to review soon. Based on this delicious wine, I am looking forward to trying the Sauv Blanc, and more Framingham, in the future.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment