Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Review: Ti Point Kirkland Signature 2011 Sauvignon Blanc

I know, I know...you read the title and thought "Really? Kirkland Signature? As in Costco?" but let me encourage you to read on. I will admit I didn't purchase this wine. I was at a friends on a recent summer afternoon and I hadn't brought something this time, so we looked at what was cold in her fridge. She's started to like NZ wine more (of course because of me!) and she had just purchased this bottle randomly at Costco because she said it was a good deal. I was incredibly reluctant at first, but thought I should capitalize on the opportunity to write about it for the blog, so I grabbed a pen and paper & started taking notes.

At first glance, this wine was a very lovely, pale, golden color. The nose was amazing!! A quintessential NZ Sauv Blanc with crisp notes of citrus including strong grapefruit. The nose on this wine was heaven! I loved the strong, bold nose that also seemed very smooth. I was hoping this would convert in the taste.

The initial sip was sweet but had a small bite. The flavor lingered, a long time, with a long finish. It was very fruit forward, slightly acidic with a light lemon flavor. The tongue had a little bite, but the long linger of pear  & lemon flavor was delightful, a bit subtle, and not overwhelming; this wine was definitely characteristic of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. As my friend put it, this wine is very friendly with calm, delicious flavors. I couldn't agree more. Obviously this wine didn't make it to day two (or hour two) but it was perfect for our lazy, summer afternoon!

I think this wine would pair with a wide variety of food but spicy food in particular. And if you are trying to introduce someone to NZ Sauv Blanc, this wine would be a great choice. At only $7.99 a bottle, yes, just $8, this is one you can afford to bring to a party or purchase to test the waters with someone who is new to wine or NZ wine, and if they don't like it, it won't be a terrible loss (although I suggest keeping it for yourself).

Notes:
Winemaker: Trace Haslam (A really cool fact...she is the third generation of women in wine for Ti Point!)
ABV: 12.5%
Cost: $7.99, available only at Costco
Region: Marlborough, New Zealand
Side note: There is a wine label called "Ti Point" from New Zealand that is related to this label. I'd like to try their original label to see if they are the same wine. Based on the description, they don't appear to be the same.
Date: New arrival at Costco as of July, 2012

Notes direct from the Kirkland Signature Wine Connection

So yes, I realize this is a very unexpected bottle to review, but it is a great wine. Costco New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc...who would have thought?

2 comments:

  1. I loved new zealand wine and I saw this kirkland ti point NZ wine at Costco this afternoon and I bought 2 bottles and chill one right away...I was very Surprised the taste Was very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big wine drinker, but I absolutely love this wine. I have tasted several NZ wines recently and this certainly ranks in the top. Good price too!

    ReplyDelete