Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: The Seeker 2011 Sauvignon Blanc

I was browsing the aisles of a local wine store recently and came across this bottle of The Seeker. It originally caught my eye because of the price: $9.99 (only $8.99 with the 6-or-more bottles 10% discount!). At first glance, I thought the label was in desperate need of some color and sophisticated imaging, but I wanted to give it a try.

When I first opened this bottle, the nose was wonderful. Hints of guava, citrus, apple and sweet notes graced my nose. It had a slightly acidic, tart smell, but in my notes I wrote YUMMY! The color was almost crystal clear, with a pale, yellow tinge.

Upon first sip, the 2011 The Seeker Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough was light yet powerful. Bold flavors, yet not too strong or overwhelming, with a long finish. It was slightly tart, with a little acid that hit the back of your tongue while still being smooth. It was not as crisp as many of the Sauv Blancs I've reviewed, and had a bit more bite than I expected, but it was delightful.


I didn't finish this bottle for almost a week (crazy, right?) but I kept it in the fridge vacuumed. To be honest, I didn't think it would be ANY good after 7 or 8 days, but that vacuum works miracles! I ended up finishing it a week later and really enjoyed it. It was very similar, even a bit more mild than it was on day one, but still with great flavor!

Notes:
AVB: 12.7%
Vintage: 2011
Price: $9.99 (up to $13.99)
Winemaker Notes: Lifed aromas of red currant, passionfruit and spearmint combine for an intense bouquet. The palate has a prominent fresh acidity which is balanced by an intense core of fruit where characters of lime and apple come to mind. A seemless and refreshing wine.
Food Pairing Suggestions: Ideally suited to shellfish, salads, citrus-sauced dishes, ocean voyages and park blankey reconnaissance.
My Food Pairing Suggestion: I enjoyed this with a BBQ Chicken Sandwich and thought it balanced out the spices in the BBQ sauce really well. It would also go well with fruit desserts, tarts, pies,etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment